Final TPM Oral Histories 12 (2) From 2009 and 2012, The Patagonia Museum collected oral histories from members of the community. Twelve of them are transcribed here: Cynthia Morriss, Donnie Martin, Elena Quiroga, George Proctor, Jeanette Swyers, Lucy Mihalik, Lydia Dojaquez, Michael Cervantes, Ramon S. Quiroga, Carmen Soto, Paul Mihalik and Jesus Lopez. To see the oral histories of Doug Thaemert and Guillermo Matus with Mike Yourgules go to the online Arizona Memory Project.
Please join The Patagonia Museum and help preserve and collect the history and culture of eastern Santa Cruz County. For as little as $35 a year you can make a difference. Download our membership application and start supporting our efforts to promote an appreciation and awareness of our local history and culture.
The Patagonia Museum met on Saturday, January 17, 2015, at 10:30 am in the Patagonia Public Library for its annual meeting.
Volunteer officers for the year 2015 were selected as follows: German Quiroga, President, Bob Ollerton, Vice-President, Ralph Schmitt, Treasurer, Bea Quiroga, Secretary, Bob Bergier, Member-at-Large and Tom Bartholomeaux, Member-at-Large.
History and anthropology instructor Rebecca Orozco provided an engaging and informative presentation on the Chiricahua Apache.
This brochure was produced after the first Earth/ Arizona Trail Day celebration in April 2010 when the first guided walking tour was presented by The Patagonia Museum. This event has developed into EarthFest, celebrated every year around Earth Day. Historic Patagonia Walking Tour Brochure
The Santa Cruz Patagonian Newspaper was first published in Patagonia on December 1912. The Patagonia Museum, the Patagonia Library and the Friends of the Patagonia Library have partnered to reformat copies of this local newspaper on electronic media. The total collection purchased from the Arizona Library State Archives includes 693 editions of this newspaper from 1915 to 1929. View all these editions on:
The Patagonia Museum became a member of the Creative Spirit Artists Gallery in January 1, 2013.
Our exhibit space is located in the rear area of the gallery, 317 Mc Keown Avenue, Patagonia.
Currently, some historic photos from the Patagonia Centennial Celebration are being displayed as well as the Journey Stories local exhibit that was part of the Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street, Traveling Exhibit.
Photos from the jail cave in Patagonia and the Civilian Conservation Corps projects are also displayed.
A limited number of The Patagonia Museum and Lochiel Schoolhouse t-shirts are available for purchase.
Two books detailing the history of the Patagonia area are also available for purchase:
Tom and Joan Woods’ “The Other Side of the Mountain” details the history of Tom and Gertrude Gardner in the 1800′s.
John Cady’s “Arizona’s Yesterday” details his own life in and around Patagonia from the 1860′s to the 1900′s.
The gallery is open seven days a week from 10am to 4pm.
We meet at the ramadas on Beaty and Highway 82.
Please bring water, gloves and appropriate clothing.
Our next cleanup will be on Friday, March 20, 2015 at 4:30pm.
For more information contact German Quiroga: 520-343-5641.
Lochiel, Arizona – One Room School House
Built before 1905 of adobe and used extensively as a schoolhouse through the 1970′s, the property, owned by the Patagonia School District, became a site for vandals and litterbugs as recently as 2009. In 2010 The Patagonia Museum leased the schoolhouse property from the Patagonia School District for the purpose of preserving this historic site for future generations to be utilized as a historic and educational facility for our students and community. The work continues today with the help of dozens of volunteers and financial and in-kind support from individuals and groups including: the Patagonia Regional Community Foundation, Arizona Centennial Legacy Project, Tucson Glass and Mirror and the San Rafael Valley Association. Volunteer and architect Brian McCarthy has provided The Patagonia Museum with an architectural drawing of the schoolhouse. Architectural Drawing of Schoolhouse
The Patagonia Museum usually hosts a workday on the last Saturday of the month except for the months of November and December when a Saturday in early December is dedicated to the workday. Everyone with an interest in this endeavor is welcome. To read a recent article about our work go to: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/volunteers-renovate-one-room-lochiel-schoolhouse/article_cafe9ec5-02e4-5cfe-8109-20704f58092b.html
A Project of The Patagonia Museum
Help preserve our local history. Join us for an enjoyable work day!
Date: Saturday, March 21, 2015
Time: 9 am to 2 pm
For further information contact German Quiroga (520-343-5641) or Ralph Schmitt (520-394-2732). Please bring water, lunch, tools (if available) and gloves.
Students from Patagonia Elementary School learned about local history and helped clean up a historic schoolhouse site during a recent field trip to Lochiel.
The visit by Kate Musick’s first- and second-grade students to the Lochiel School was the culminating event of a partnership between Patagonia Elementary School, The Patagonia Museum, and The Patagonia Creative Arts Center, Musick said. Read more….